Young Trade Unionists’ May Day Brigade 2018
26 April - 8 May 2018
A unique opportunity for activists to participate in practical solidarity work and discover the reality of life for Cubans living under the illegal US blockade of their country.
During the 12 day brigade participants will:
- Attend the spectacular May Day Rally in Plaza de la Revolución, Havana
- Meet the CTC (Cuban TUC) and solidarity activists from around the world
- Gain valuable insight into the achievements of the Cuban Revolution and contemporary Cuban society
- Examine the challenges facing the island and witness firsthand the problems caused by the US blockade
- Meet and discuss current issues with Cuban workers with visits to hospitals, schools, workplaces and neighbourhoods
- Contribute to the agricultural and productive development of the country through voluntary work sessions
- Visit political and cultural sites
Brigades have run for a number of years and have involved delegates from Unite, UNISON, GMB, CWU, BFAWU, PCS, RMT, TSSA, NAPO, USDAW and the UCU. Over the previous nine years over 260 young trade unionists have taken part in our May Day Brigade. Many have gone on to become increasingly active within their trade union and the Cuba Solidarity Campaign.
The May Day Brigade usually consists of members, activists and officers aged 18-35, but it is possible for older members to participate if they wish.
Read a report from the 2016 brigade here.